Technology and other Things of the Sort

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Dai Atlas
Gestalt Team Leader

Technology and other Things of the Sort

Post by Dai Atlas »

I have put this topic up on several sites I frequent to get other's opinions. Some of you may have come across it several times at other sites....or not. With the latest trend of CGI heavy movies, 3-D movies and other great technological feats from year to year I began to long for the old days. It seems in my opinion this latest trend of everything 3-d or or every movie being CGI heavy has made Hollywood lazy. A lot of movies over the past few years that have relied on 95% CGI had some really piss poor acting with the exception of Avatar (It was awesome). While I like cool graphics and all that, I have found myself really diving into Anime, 80s cartoons and old Black and White movies more and more lately. I just need to escape from all the CGI heavy stuff.

I also want to state that I am tired of my cell phone...lol, technology is good but sometimes it is a pain. I remember being a kid or even a teen and before everyone could afford a cell phone/pager you had that one maybe two phones in the house. Not cordless but the one that had the buttons on the phone and not the reciever and the face plate came off to show the insides. Anyway my point is back than you didn't have 50 million people calling you, people weren't easy to reach back then, and if they weren't listed in the white pages, well you didn't find them. Sometimes I miss that too because I swear my phone gets more calls than I like...lol. My kids love laptops, cell phones, video games all of that good stuff, but I also try to instill int them that picking up a good book and reading is fun too. They have picked up on this in recent years and I am proud but sometimes I worry if today's youth would panic or freak out if Facebook and all the other social Networks went offline. For that matter what if their cell phones stopped working, would they even know how to write and mail a letter to a friend if they had to. Suppose the internet shut down what would people do, would those of us that grew up with the Dewey Decimal System still remember how to use it in the library and look up information? If there were no PS3's, Xbox 360's, or Wii would people find their love for Pinball machines again or a good old fashion board game like Monopoly?

Anyway as much as I love my laptop, upgrading to the latest phones, and hanging out with you guys on the web i often long for the old days and wonder if those of you in my age group miss those days as well and sometimes get burnt out from all this technology. On top of that how do you think people would react if the web, texting, and Facebook was cut off?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be.
-John Lennon
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

I miss the good 'ole days too, bud. :wink: Back when typewriters were considered a luxury item and nobody had computers. Back when if you missed a show on t.v....you just missed it! Lol....no DVR to record them. Back when you actually had to travel to an event to see it...no pay-per-view. Back when vehicle motors were easy to work on and running out of gas didn't spell a catastrophe. Back when there were no cameras at the red lights and people raced each other down the strip. Back when there were no ATM machines, debit cards or automated checking...and people either paid with cash or really wrote their checks. Back when cashiers didn't card you for alcohol or cigarettes and usually knew who's kid you were. Back when kids played sandlot ball instead of virtual ball. Back when MTV actually played music. I could go on and on....but I'll shut up and let others reply.

If the web, texting (cell phones), video games and Facebook were cut out? People would go crazy...and their attitudes would be even worse now that they've had a taste of "the good life" As for me...I'd read some G1 comics, play with some G1 toys or draw some G1 art... :wink:
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

I have no problem with cgi or 3d stuff. To me it doesn't change the acting quality. A big portion of movies have always relied on the new gimmick rather than acting. Explosions, animatronics, miniatures, gore, claymation, color, sound. Lets face it, there has always been a shortage or good actors.

I still do a lot of reading, but even as a kid I don't know many people who read a lot. So I don't think the internet has really changed that. But I do read a lot of ebooks, I've got dozens loaded on my phone so I can read while I'm stuck in lines or waiting for people. But I would need a refresher course to use the decimal system and card catalogs.

I'm pretty sure everyone still knows how snail mail works.

And for all the video games there is still a strong board game market. I don't even like playing them that much and I owns dozens. And people still play pinball. And flash games are even maintaining the old atari games.

As for the internet, the way things are integrated now a days if it went down so would society. Most of us would probably literally die if it was off for any extended time.

So I don't miss the old days at all. Nothing I enjoyed then is gone and everything has been improved so much and is so much cheaper. If anything I'm exceedingly jealous of kids now a days. All the toys I bought for Christmas gifts just make wish they were available when I was kid.
Steeljaw
Throttlebot

Post by Steeljaw »

Last edited by Steeljaw on Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dai Atlas
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Dai Atlas »

So far everyone's opinions are very interesting. Everything you guys have said is food for thought....keep it up. I think the main thing is hopefully things won't turn out like I Robot.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be.
-John Lennon