xbox repair

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Blaster
Targetmaster

xbox repair

Post by Blaster »

Does anyone have any insight to repairing an xbox?
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

That really depends on what's wrong with it. If its the disc reader (which is the problem I've had before), then I really have no idea. I recently purchased another one from some kid at the local game shop for $20 but it has a jammed CD drive. Can't get the darn star screws off to get in to fix it.
Blaster
Targetmaster

Post by Blaster »

That is the problem with mine. I ordered a drive thinking there were only three different drives (toshiba, samsung, benq) I had the benq. Come to find out there are three different benq drives. well I didn't know at the time so I tried to install this drive. After I got it all together I found out I needed to flash it so it would work. I didn't know how to do that so I found an alternative that required you to swap the circuit boards in the drive. When I opened them I found out that they were different and that wouldn't work. So I swapped the laser/lens. Now it starts to work, says its "reading" but never gets anywhere.

On getting those screws out I ordered a drive that came with tools to open the whole xbox.
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

You can get on ifixit.com for any of the tutorials you need. They are a very helpful site. I rebuilt my brother's iphone using their tutorials.
R.I.P. Menasor
Blaster
Targetmaster

Post by Blaster »

Dinobot Your my new hero. That site looks awesome. I'll try to dig into it tomorrow. Thanks.

After I got depressed because my xbox still wasn't fixed I got on e&ay and found a guy selling a new 360slim with 250bg hdd, Kinect, halo 3, halo odst, halo reach, guitar hero with 2 guitars, fable 3, and final fantasy 457 (or whichever number they are on now) for 220$ !!! I either just got an awesome deal or really ripped off. He said he was opening a store and thats why he had them. He also said he had 200 of that bundle. I'm not the only sucker if its a scam.... just one of the first.
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

The Xbox360 is a pain to fix. You have to do modding in order to get new drives to work, you can't just swap out a new drive. The original Xbox you could do.. I'm gonna do it soon.
Blaster
Targetmaster

Post by Blaster »

Yeah I still haven't been able to get mine to work. I worked on my brothers it had the rrod I got rid of that and now it will start to boot up but it stops and gives 2 rings instead of 3.
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Have you tried the 'stick the chip in the oven' trick?

Blaster
Targetmaster

Post by Blaster »

???? what does that do? and what fix is that for?

I actually ordered the correct dvd drive last night. I almost broke down last night and traded my xbox stuff for a ps3. My wife talked me out of it because she wants a kinect
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Blaster wrote:???? what does that do? and what fix is that for?

I actually ordered the correct dvd drive last night. I almost broke down last night and traded my xbox stuff for a ps3. My wife talked me out of it because she wants a kinect
it's for red ring of death, it is meant to heat-treat some poor quality solder :)
Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

k more instructions on this trance..... i never heard of this and my kids have killed another 360..... Tho if they realized there is life outside the box.....lmao

To know others you must know yourself first!

The bigger they are the bigger thud they make when they fall!!!

http://www.transformerland.com/forum/vi ... 9520#89520
Blaster
Targetmaster

Post by Blaster »

ok. my brother actually did something similar with his he wrapped it in towels and ran it until it got really hot and it would work for a couple weeks when he did that.

I have ordered another dvd drive. So I've spent 80$ on a broken xbox. My wife wants to buy me a new one so we won't have to mess with it anymore. So It might all be good!!!