G1 Jetfire/Skyfire question

Come here to ask anything about the Transformers storyline, character bios, and more!
Crankshaft
Targetmaster

G1 Jetfire/Skyfire question

Post by Crankshaft »

From what I remember, a few episodes after the debut of season 2 of the G1 cartoon we never saw Skyfire again. Any idea why Skyfire was taken out of the show at that point?
Optimus: Transfuhm und uttuhk!!

Bumblebee: What did you say?

Optimus: *takes down faceplate* I said transform and attack!!
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

I don't know. Might have something to do with Hasbros marketing deal with Takara at the time. They (Takara) didn't really care for the inclusion of characters into the Transformers animated series from competing toy manufactures since in essence the cartoon was basically a toy commercial after all.

Didn't Jetfire appear in Season 3 in: Dark Awakening. Appeared with an Autobot fleet attacking the Quintessons along with Powerglide and several Aerialbots. This might just be an animation error though.
Crankshaft
Targetmaster

Post by Crankshaft »

Roadbuster wrote:I don't know. Might have something to do with Hasbros marketing deal with Takara at the time. They (Takara) didn't really care for the inclusion of characters into the Transformers animated series from competing toy manufactures since in essence the cartoon was basically a toy commercial after all.

Didn't Jetfire appear in Season 3 in: Dark Awakening. Appeared with an Autobot fleet attacking the Quintessons along with Powerglide and several Aerialbots. This might just be an animation error though.
I'd have to watch that episode again and see.

Rattrap
Big Grey Rat

Post by Rattrap »

It certainly looks like him. They don't say his name or anything, but then again the same scene has two Powerglides. It could be that it's just supposed to be a stock Autobot spaceship.
Crankshaft
Targetmaster

Post by Crankshaft »

Yeah, the G1 cartoon, and Revenge of the Fallen for that matter, are both infamous for animation goofs and plot holes. From what I remember, there was a goof in More Than Meets the Eye Part 1 where it looks like there are 2 Starscreams aboard the Ark before it crashed.

Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

dont' get me started on animated goofs.
There are so many!
Crankshaft
Targetmaster

Post by Crankshaft »

Galvatron wrote:dont' get me started on animated goofs.
There are so many!
That's 1980s animation for ya. :P

Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

They also wrote a lot of characters out of the show without credible explanation. Most of the pre-movie characters are assumed dead and then in season 3 they just don't show anyone beside Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge, Rodimus, Arcee, Kup, Magnus, Blurr, or Wheelie unless it suits the plot of the episode. Well Skylynx, Grimlock, and the Predacons make it into quite a few episodes as well.
Crankshaft
Targetmaster

Post by Crankshaft »

Blackjack wrote:They also wrote a lot of characters out of the show without credible explanation. Most of the pre-movie characters are assumed dead and then in season 3 they just don't show anyone beside Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge, Rodimus, Arcee, Kup, Magnus, Blurr, or Wheelie unless it suits the plot of the episode. Well Skylynx, Grimlock, and the Predacons make it into quite a few episodes as well.
I liked the Season 3 Grimlock better than the previous one. He seemed easier to work with after the G1 movie and provided some much needed comic relief when the show took a darker turn.

ancientspark
Decoy

Post by ancientspark »

Season 3 Grimlock was far more tamed and not as normally taken to even hanging out with his counterparts. Interesting, that.

I liked "Grimlock's New Brain" where he creates the Technobots, and by the power of association, we have Wheeljack as a grandfather, even if it is post-mortum.

To answer the Skyfire question in a real sense... we lost a handful of voice actors to death and quitting.. other jobs... what have you. A LOT of 2nd season characters only made cameos in the 3rd season and most were not voiced.

Jazz got re-voiced by Wally Burr in season 3 after Scatman Crothers died, which was the 2nd G1 Transformer voice-actor death after Orson Welles, who died 2 weeks after the 1986 movie.
----------------------
AncientSpark - I've been ... around.