Alternators

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Optimus Maximus
Gestalt Warrior

Alternators

Post by Optimus Maximus »

So as of now my collection consist of G1, a couple Masterpiece figures, movie figures and different classics lines. I have been wanting to add something new to my collection and was considering going with the Alternators and Binal-tech. For those of you that have them are they worth getting into. I know some can get a little pricey. Also will they display well with MP Prime and other MP figures? Thanks.
172 and counting. :)_
Newest addition to my collection: Generations Blitzwing
Looking for packaging for 20th Anni. Masterpiece Optimus Prime and his axe and Megatron gun. PM me if you have any of these at a reasonable price.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Well, I can attest for alternators, since i FINALLY have a complete collection of them (see the archive page to the right!).
Here's my opinion: Greatest Transformer series ever, until they diluted it down with lame, nonsensical repaints.
The worst part is, some of said repaints are what kill you pricewise.
The alternators I'd avoid (or at least wait to get)...
Camshaft: Expensive (low production, late release), and he looks like prowl, not G1 Camshaft.
Battle Ravage: Cheap, but he's Tracks with a cat head. Come on.
Decepticharge: Expensive, no one knows who he's actually supposed to be with regard to G1
Ricochet: Don't remember the pricing, but he is a late release. His face looks silly because it's gold with a white nose. He's supposed to represent g1 "Stepper"... a Japan only Targetmaster recolor of jazz. So, if anything, he should be recolored from Jazz, not Silverstreak. Besides, you'll already have a Smokescreen and Silverstreak of that body type (though they do have different head casts!)
Rollbar: He's got Trailbreaker's head, on Hound's body, and he's burnt orange just like..... G1 Rollbar? Whatever, guys.
Swindle: He's got Trailbreaker's head, on Hound's body, and he's sand yellow... slightly closer to the sand brown of G1 Swindle, to whom, he only bears a passing resemblance anway.
Swerve: He's late, low-production, and at one point, sold for over $100. He's got a new headcast on a tracks body, and again... He looks just like... his G1... self....... sure.
Wheeljack: Sorry Minerva, but he's a big beefy Grimlock with an evil-looking WJ head, and a completely different color scheme from his G1 self. He even come's with Grimlock's double-barrel gun and sword! Cool. *twitch*
Nemesis Prime: Can you say "black recolor?" I can. And he's pricey.

Also, get Ravage. The one that's a Jaguar XK that turns into a jaguar (animal). It's pricier, but it's way cool, and way better than Battle Ravage. Check UK sellers, since he was released in larger numbers there (as well as his case mate, Rumble- also excellent, despite his lack of hands.)
Long story short, the other MP figures are excellent. I guess UMag really doesn't do it for me, since he's a straight recolor of Prime, expensive, and represents a form he used in one debateably-canon-compatible DW comic that one time. Sigh.
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

...I don't think Wheeljack is THAT bad...
On the other hand I don't have any other Alternators to compare him to, and he does tend to be a pain to transform.
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

They are all a pain to transform. Youtube videos can be a HUGE help transforming them. And although all seem to have great vehicles there are a number of crappy robot modes, perhaps all of them if the way the feet are bugs you. But there are several cool ones. And really I think $20- $40 for most any, unless you are looking for boxed-sealed.

Some I think are really cool, that I've had(by which I like the robot, resemblance to G1 character nice but not important):
cat ravage
miester/jazz
shockblast/shockwave
skids
swindle
hound
tracks
smokescreen

Optimus is alright, at least he's got a G1ish head.

I don't like:
robot ravage
sunstreaker
sideswipe

I've taken some pictures of most of the ones I've had:
http://s452.photobucket.com/albums/qq24 ... ternators/
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

I could definitely get into collecting this line as well.Image
Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

I have 5 prime sbockblast sideswipe sunstreakeer and rollbar. They are geared for adult collecttors tho even then a bit of a pain. I myself will not be huntting anymore of these. I have been thinking of selling them due to the not easyly played with case. I cant just pick one up and change mode easy. Lol

To know others you must know yourself first!

The bigger they are the bigger thud they make when they fall!!!

http://www.transformerland.com/forum/vi ... 9520#89520
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

If its smooth transformations and looks you want the classics line are the best in my opinion. Alternators are really just display pieces. But the size and detail are good for that.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Frankly, I love the challenging transformations. Transforming toys has always been meditation for me, and those, MP Megatron, and some of the ROTF toys are deep meditation for me.
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

I say get them. Im missing xj ravage, swerve, and decepticharge. I dismantled my nemesis prime, and put trailbreaker's head on the body so trailbreaker has a good truck mode. Reprolabels provided the sticker set, so he looks amazing now. I should photograph them all. With the reprolabel sets, they turn alot of the crappy looking ones (rollbar) into decent figures. I dont transform them as much as I used to cause some of them just plain suck.
R.I.P. Menasor