The Ætherspite (Cambreaker's frigate)

This section is a read-only archive of the first Transformerland Roleplay section. Read, enjoy, and join up with our new storyline!

Moderators: Time Traveller, Blackjack

Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

"I'll get us out of here...But you have to lead the way back to Kaon. My orbital projectory scanners are on the fritz."...Skywarp's doors open on his chassis on both sides of his cockpit. A cluster of missiles fire from within in the direction of Sideways and Jazz exploding all around them but not making contact. Plumes of thick smoke and circuitry tranquilizing gas erupt and in toxic cloud..."Now's our chance."...Skywarp transforms and takes to the sky.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

OOC: much time has passed since the last posted events, and jazz and TLA are no longer on the 'spite (probably on cybertron), which seems to be lost in space since Cambreaker's disappearance. Dirge and Skywarp have woken up aboard the ghost ship, forgotten as prisoners there.

Skywarp's missiles smash into the hanger door, producing a big enough hole for the seekers to escape. No alarms sound, it is as if the ship's security systems are malfunctioning or disabled. Skywarp and Dirge blast off into space.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

By Primus, what's taking him so long? He said he'd be just a couple nanoklicks while he grabbed something off that dumb asteroid, and here we sit, 10 breems later...

I know! He was a big hurry to get here. I was in stasis sleep when he finally came to after playing hero down on the surface, and he shoves me off my recharge berth to get me up for this little adventure.

Bombsight, did he tell you what we're even looking for? I bet it was the Matrix. He always has such a laser-cow when someone mentions that thing.

You think so? I don't know, it doesn't make much sense. Uh oh. Hey, look at this.

Bombsight keys up something to Double Clutch's monitor, who takes his feet of his desk and looks.

Pursuers? Out here? Slag. Wait an astrosecond. Is that...

The Nighteye? They're not supposed to be out here! They're not supposed to find us! They're not even supposed to be looking for us! Cam was pretty clear on that, if nothing else. I'm powering down the shield generators. I don't want to have too much of a signature.... Hnnn... Lights too. Passive sensors only. Maybe they'll give up and turn back.

The lights on the bridge dim, the main viewscreen flickers off. Bombsight can only see the blue glow of Double Clutch's optics. After the incredulous gaze, Double Clutch shakes his head slowly and turns back to his monitor, leaving Bombsight smirking to himself at the sarcastic mechanic. Trying to hide a capital ship... what had this job come to?
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Slag! They've already spotted us! What should we do? Cambreaker needs more time!

Hrrrrngg...

Double Clutch's optics dart across the passive scanner readouts.

Stay in here. I'm going in.

But Cambreaker said...

"but daddy cam said..." Double Clutch mocks, Blah, blah, blah. Have I ever done what Cambreaker said in situations like these?

Well, no...

Blazing straight. And how many times has disobeying orders saved our armor plates? You can't always fly on the same bombing run. Sometimes you've got to... Double Clutch stands poignantly... Adjust course.

Clutch storms for the turbolift door, then stops cold, mid-step. Bombsight does not reply.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Cambreaker rises from his weapons system control console and looks out the long window of the aft bridge at the shuttlecraft trolling toward the asteroid.

Is that... the Nighteye? What are they doing out here?

I'm not sure how they could have followed us, Cam.

hrrg. Alright, prepare the docking tractor beam. Retract those station clamps, we'll use the shuttle bay clamps. Get active scanners on that other ship and Time Traveller's asteroid. Something isn't right about that.
Double Clutch... start warming the secondary shield generator.

Ætherspite hailing Nighteye. Power down your weapons for a full-ship security scan. Then, you may prepare to dock.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

It looks like the Decepticon craft is maneuvering to dock, aaand... Nighteye is clear. No barnacles, no Decepticons.

Perfect. Dock them.

Cambreaker radios the crew of the Nighteye, inviting them aboard, as bombsight controls the docking clamps and tractor beams. Double Clutch watches the active scanners on the asteroid like a hawk.

Docking successful, Cambreaker. Ours and theirs.

Good. I'm going to meet the crew... I'll have someone relieve you later.

Cambreaker transforms and burns rubber for the rear of the ship.
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

It feels strange setting foot on board the 'Spite once more. Blackjack remembers how it felt long ago to do this for the first time and how it felt even recently coming back. A mixture of feelings fill his processor as he makes the first steps from the Nighteye to the 'Spite's docking bay. He is excited to see his friend again, but also nervous about handing over the reins of command after the things he had done. He is nervous about how Cambreaker would feel when he learned that Cybertron's security was in the hands of one of his own worst enemies. He is torn between the joy of this reunion and his own need for closure and revenge.

Entering the darkened docking bay, Blackjack finds that his friend has not yet arrived. Dinobot sidles up beside him, seemingly pleased to be meeting Cambreaker once more. Minerva follow behind, she too seems troubled about what to feel. He wonders how Cambreaker will react when he learns that Galvatron lives and is out there somewhere right now. He wonders what his friend's reaction will be to his own upgrades. He wonders what their future will hold now. What had Makeway meant "there's no future in the past." Was he supposed to let it go? To let Sixshot go, now after he had finally found him. He could never do that.

And somewhere, out in space, the other who left Cybertron locks onto the Nighteye's signal once again after having lost it during the second transwarp jump. Having reached Iacon, he had found that they were already leaving, heading to parts unknown. The Last Autobot had know that he needed to follow his Autobot bretheren to the stars.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Double Clutch turns to Bombsight, his browplates furrowed in concern. Bombsight shakes his head and gives a shrug, before turning back to his monitor.

The giant doors to the docking bay hiss and dilate open as Cambreaker approaches and transforms. Though it took only a matter of 50 seconds for him to traverse the kilometer and a quarter of ship from the bridge to the bay, it was all too much time to think. He still wonders if it was the right thing to do, and he knows his friends will not treat him the same. He looks down briefly at his old body, which he had chosen to "wear". Not only did the strange Traveller explain that it was possible but dangerous to leave his spark in one transtector while attaching to and operating the other, but he thought perhaps his old body would still be more recognizable and friendly to his crew. Why had Time Traveller rebuilt his old transtector body anyway? It didn't matter which form he took in Galvatron's old universe. What a strange transformer. How would Minerva or Redline feel when he would have to ask them to replace his spark chamber back into his military style body? How would Minerva feel about...
As the lights come up in the shuttle bay, time is up. He glances self-consciously at the "playwear" on his body from the fight, which for him was only moments ago. Perhaps it would have been worth the risk to run his clean, undamaged transtector... But there were still the scuffs on his head.

Blackjack my old friend! Welcome home! Ah, Dinobot! Welcome. Minerva!....

He smiles wearily but affectionately, but as he sees the demeanor of all the others, the stone of his guilt weighs upon him even further. It plays out in his mind. "Why did you leave us?" "I had to go murder a helpless Autobot." There was nothing he could say to them. Nothing to excuse what he'd done. He just walks toward them, trying to wear his old confidence.

I am so relieved to see you have all made it here. Though I do wish you would not have followed, I understand why...

And so he was back to this... sulking, brooding, reluctant and tragic strategist self. Support personnel. Background information. He had ridden so long on the high of successful and bold leadership. So long on the high of reunion with his closest friends, so long on the high of new, trustworthy friends. So long on the high of the love of....
Minerva shyed away from him, instinctively, he could tell. She was trying to look happy and relieved, but she was acting as she would if they had to go meet some Decepticon warlord. "Why did you leave me, Cambreaker?" "I had to go murder a helpless Autobot."
He nearly froze up in this reverie, his optics betraying some sort of aging, betraying his wallowing in guilt.
Rattrap
Big Grey Rat

Post by Rattrap »

Rattrap hears the soft clink of metal striking metal. Rattrap opens his eyes, his foot is firmly planted inside the Aetherspite's airlock. He shakes his head violently and enters the shuttlebay. Not much about the shuttlebay seemed to have changed, but Rattrap begin to see things with different eyes. As he takes his place near the back of the group, all he can see in his surroundings are hiding places, for him and for ambushers. As the Autobots await answers from their Leader, Rattrap looks tensely around the room and wonders for the first time: "Who pushed me?"
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

As soon as Cambreaker appears in the docking bay, Blackjack's face splits into a grin. The first good news in a while. Cambreaker welcomes them home. Blackjack feels unease. Although the 'Spite had always been a bastion in a storm, he'd never quite thought of it as home and especially not now. He notices Cambreaker look at each of them. He seems to be in high spirits, excited to see them all. And yet, Blackjack senses something is amiss. His friend is back in his old body yet with signs of battle. What had he been doing? Why had he gone? These questions and others filled Blackjack's head yet he can't find it in himself to ask them. He notices that Cambreaker is not glancing at Minerva and he wonders how she will react to his absence. For a moment he wonders what to do next, should he confront his friend with a report of what he had missed or should he allow the two of them some alone time. He decides on the former.

You wanna know why we follow ya, Cammy. Because we need ya. The Autobot cause is fallin' apart. This is all that's left, the five of us, six including the newcomah who's recoverin' inside a CR chambah. Meanwhile the 'cons are back and at full strength.

He hesitates, not wanting to reveal just yet that Galvatron was back in action. He thinks for a moment and then proceeds.

I got some old....er.....friends watching Cybahtron for us at the moment but I don't trust em alone there for too long. And now it seems we got some more 'cons followin' us out here, seem to be lookin' to chat wit that Time Traveller fellah. Not sure what to make of that. But anyway, good to see ya.

He stops talking, thinking that he is starting to sound like Makeway. What is it going to be like, being just a normal Autobot again? He'd not been leading that long, but he'd developed the mentality that he was responsible for their sparks. And now, he would be only responsible for himself and Brakkas again. Then again, he wondered if Cambreaker was in any condition to lead at the moment.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

It's good to see you too.
Cambreaker smiles tiredly at his old friend Blackjack. He is the only one who seems to be warm to Cambreaker at the moment. He glances again at Minerva, whose optics are still averted from his. He looks back to Blackjack.
It looks like you've taken good care of my crew!
Cambreaker is getting worried. He knows there is no poker face Blackjack can't see right through. And why was Rattrap looking so disoriented?
Well, Decepticons or not, we're back on the road together now. I have some energon and oil chilled in the bar, I'm sure you could all use a good re-energizing after what you've been through, and I could too.
Cambreaker gestures invitingly toward the main corridor of the ship, and turns to start walking. MOST of the others follow suit.
...Rattrap? What's wrong?
Cambreaker does his best to arrange his facial armor into "concerned and quizzical" rather than "tired and ashamed".
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

Although Cambreaker seems excited to see them all, he can tell that there is disappointment too in his gaze and guilt. For what Blackjack doesn't know, but he knows his friend will say in time. He calls them 'my crew' and yet Blackjack doesn't feel that is the right term. He is stalling, wearing a mask. This statement about re-energizing also doesn't seem like the Cambreaker he'd left, the Cambreaker who would want to know what the 'cons were up to, what tactics his enemies were using and how he could turn it against them. He watches his friend turn and start walking down the corridor. Although Cambreaker seems intent on asking Rattrap a question, he calls after him.

I undahstand the importance of some time spent wit friends, but wit all respect Cambreakah we've got a war to fight. A Decepticon ship followed us through transwarp and someone needs to go down to that asteroid and find out what their dealin' wit Time Travellah. I volunteer.

He turns and starts walking back towards where the Royal Flush is docked alongside the Nighteye. It was better this way anyway. He had a problem to deal with and there was no point in looking for a happy reunion when he had business to attend to.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Irked, Cambreaker turns on a heel. His commander's mettle hardens at this insubordination. So much for even one lukewarm welcome.

Blackjack, Time Traveller does not want intervention during his meeting with those Decepticons. Further, if he does call the rain, it will be easy for him to escape if we have to turn that asteroid into interstellar dust, but you'd be stuck. I don't understand, after all this time why you'd.....

Something occurs to Cambreaker. He doesn't know how this was possible, but he takes a shot.

'Jack... Tell me what this is about.

The other Autobots have by now gathered around behind Cambreaker, witnessing the bizzarre scene unfold. Cambreaker feels their optics burning in upon him. It is so strange, so somber... no one saying a word. He feels all alone, like an actor on the stage. No one supporting him, no one grabbing for Blackjack's wrist to help stop the reckless gambler. Minerva peers out from around Dinobot's mighty shoulder. Cambreaker wonders fleetingly how disappointed she must feel. He feels himself slipping down the slope already, torn between Blackjack's safety, and Cambreaker's friendship... Not only with 'Jack, but with all the Autobots.
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

This is the Cambreaker he had expected. The commander. He did have everything under control. Blackjack holds his stern expression. He hates doing this to his friends, to his family. He remembers what Rattrap had said, those stinging words. But he was no longer in command, no longer responsible for them. He wanted, no he needed to do this. Caught up in the heat of the moment, his voice was raised when he spoke

I left Cybahtron in the hands of the Destron Space Mafia. I almost got Minoirva killed at the hands of the Decepticons. I led an enemy, a Decepticon, into the heart of Iacon knowin' full well what he was capable of.

His voice grew softer.

I allowed Roulette to be murdered.

Then he paused. Cambreaker knew, he had always known, how Blackjack felt about this. He understood the concern, but he didn't care. This time he could end it, for good.

Sixshot is down there. I'm sorry, but I gotta go. With or without permission.

He turns again and begins walking towards the Flush.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

I have made mistakes too, Blackjack. Cambreaker calls boldly and loudly after him.

And I won't allow YOUR death to be among them. Someone close the bay doors.

Cambreaker slumps, feeling like a petty corporal busting down a private as though he had nothing better to do. He could feel the oil of Elita-1 on his hands still. Why did this have to come up now? Blackjack hesitates briefly as Cambreaker's statement sinks in, but then continues without turning back. Still, no one made a sound, the others exchange bewildered looks, unsure how to take their withering commander's order about the landing bay doors.

Blackjack, right now, this is Time Traveller's business, not yours.

Blackjack does not stop. Cambreaker's sails are devoid of wind, and he feels completely usurped. He mumbles to himself.

Ah, well. Time Traveller will see him coming at least.

He hangs his head, touching his fingers to his brow. He left only cycles ago a hero, and now he has returned a fool. The silence around him, save the clinking of Blackjack's heels, is endless.
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Minerva watches as Cambreaker hangs his head in what appears to be resignation. What had happened to him? This was not the Cambreaker she remembered. She still had a hard time meeting his optics, and if that was because of him or herself, she didn’t know yet.
Neither was she entirely sure of what Blackjack was talking about, but she had a pretty good clue. Determined, she pushes her way past the bots blocking her view.

Blackjack! She shouts at his retreating form, catching the other Autobots’ attention in the process. Stop!
They way Blackjack faltered slightly at the sound of her voice, convinced her that he wasn’t expecting her to try to prevent him from leaving.

Blackjack?, Minerva continues, lowering her voice. I’m truly sorry Blackjack, but going after Sixshot will not bring her back.
Enough oil has been spilt and I don’t think I speak for myself when I say that I don’t want to see another spark extinguished today.
You are one of us. If we go, we go together, but now is not the time. Leave it be, Blackjack. Stay.

Minerva pauses and waits for a response. The room falls completely silent, save from the soft humming of the Ætherspite’s engines.
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

It is not Cambreaker's words that cause Blackjack to pause, but Minervas. This is something in her tone which Cambreaker cannot seem to find. Where Cambreaker had blamed himself, she pleads out of an earnest concern for his spark. Minerva had always cared for others before herself, it was what made her an excellent medic. Blackjack stops.

He turns, head hung low and begins walking back toward them. She is right. There is no future in the past. His own desire for revenge will not change anything. This is Time Traveller's fight. Cambreaker needs him now. He stops in front of Minerva for a nanoclik before continuing on towards Cambreaker to whisper to her.

Thank you.

Stopping again in front of his friend and commander, he raises his head and looks into Cambreaker's optics. There is guilt there and a feeling of doubt.

She's right. I'm actin' like a Decepticon. Why don't we go and get that Energon.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Cambreaker's relief is anything but total. He half-smiles and turns, gesturing with his arm for everyone to continue. After a beat, they do. This time, however, Cambreaker lags back, traipsing slowly behind the group as they amble toward the bar. He hangs his head. Blackjack saw right through him.
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

The door to the bar opens with a metallic 'clunk'. No one had been here in what seemed like vorns. Although much of the damage caused by the dinobots had been clean up, if not entirely repaired, the place still seemed to Blackjack to not be what it had once been. He remembered Snarl excitedly mixing Dinobot Juice and destroying the bar while he chatted with Goldbug, Kup, or one of the other crew at the time. He had come to know many of the Autobots through time spent in this place. And now their mood was hardly celebratory. They'd found Cambreaker, but their leader was hardly himself, and Blackjack had something else on his own mind. There was tension now between the Autobots and no matter how he tried to put it in his mind, Rattrap was right, they were no family, not yet anyway.

He hopped behind the bar and was preparing to serve drinks (from what was left on the ship) when a message came across the shipboard communications. It was faint, but seemed to be from an Autobot was seeking help in dealing with a Decepticon threat. Silently, he hoped that it was not coming from Cybertron. This was Cambreaker's call and he would let his friend decide what to do about the message. Something made Blackjack feel as though they now knew the location the Decepticons had been in such a hurry to get to.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Cambreaker's audioreceptors perk as the ship's computer relays a faint message on loop through space. He feels he recognizes the voice... An immortal Autobot that had mysteriously appeared before his departure from Cybertron, and had then vanished as suddenly as he arrived. The Last Autobot. But he had to be sure.

Double Clutch, trace that beacon. Tightbeam communications to the source ONLY, I don't want that 'Con ship docked to the asteroid to pick anything up. Bring the weapons systems up in case the 'Cons make a move.

Roger, Cambreaker. Homing now.

A faint beeping can be heard in the background.

Cambreaker, it looks like the Decepticon ship is starting their engines and preparing to undock. Shall I power weapons and shields to full?

I don't want weapons at full aggressive power, but power everything except the NBEC. Activate generator 1 and warm generator 2.

With this, Cambreaker arrives at the bar, having changed his mosey to a stride with the news of the approaching craft.

Autobots, I'm sorry to interrupt, but we have an approaching craft that is yet unconfirmed, and Decepticon activity from the ship on the asteroid. I want you to take battle stations just in case. Report to the aft bridge immediately. Rattrap, I want you at the helm. Minerva, sensors. Dinobot, anti-ship weapons. Blackjack, communications. Redline, engineering. Transform, and drop clutch.

Cambreaker's orders fall flat for a lack of a certain enthusiasm he once displayed, but are adamant and clear nonetheless. He feels a strange pressure, as though he is being evaluated. If the signal is indeed from the Last Autobot, his actions are now being observed by TWO of the original Thirteen. And two of the Autobots, at that. Somehow, the sense of scrutiny does little to inspire him.