Ugly Rogue mystery

Discuss any Non-Transformers toys you like (or don't!) here. MASK, GI Joe, Go-Bots, KOs, He-Man, or others.
coldascrystal
Throttlebot

Ugly Rogue mystery

Post by coldascrystal »

Back in the 90's there was a minor buzz over a seemingly rare 1st series X-Men figure. The story was that when they made the first Rogue figure the face was so hideous that they had to redo it making the first ones made pretty rare for a while. The original "Ugly Rogue" figures were selling for as much as $50. Then something strange happened...they vanished. There seems to be no mention of this figure anywhere. i have one from back in the day so i know they exist but i have never seen where an item that was rare is just basically accepted back as a stock item before. Anyone ever here of a similar instance?

JoePerry
Throttlebot

Post by JoePerry »

Look at everything ever made by Valiant.

I remember that toy, and the butterface Princess Leia toy.
coldascrystal
Throttlebot

Post by coldascrystal »

thanks i honestly believed i was crazy or something there is no mention of this variant anywhere online
JoePerry
Throttlebot

Yup

Post by JoePerry »

Back in the day when ToyBiz could get away with making terrible figures in the early 90s. I think McFarlane toys changed everything in 1994. ToyBiz had to step up, and the old figures we all pretended never happened.
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

Oh yeah! I have one of those too, I have heard the heavy eye makeup version of that variant Rogue called "Dolly Parton Rogue". (I do believe that ToyFare was the place I saw it) There were other versions of the Rogue figure molded from the action figure molds that this one came from, as well as a seperate super 10 inch figure that had much better paint applications. I don't think that the figures just disappeared, but I think that so much hoopla was put into the rarity of the figure, and yeah, it is, that people snapped up all of them and put them into their private collections hoping that they'd be worth the price of a new Corvette someday.

This Rogue figure, wasn't from the first series of the ToyBiz X-Men toy series, but the second or third wave of the series when the animated series was on air.

In 1990, when ToyBiz stopped making the DC comics heroes, they picked up the Marvel franchise, and there were a few variants in that series too. ToyBiz was also notorious for sending out mismatched cards with their figures to put on the shelves. I have a Multi-Joint Spider-Man that proudly proclaims that he is the Invisible Woman. :wink:

Actually, there is a Variant Invisible Woman figure that is pink, and color changing, and one with an "invisible" launcher and she's in her usual blue skivvies.

As far as X-Men goes......

There was a gold and brown suit Wolverine (The mask doubled as a kid sized ring), Colossus (which had a variant accessory, opr paint color but I can't remember), Juggernaut (Which had a variant of orange boots as opposed to red), Sabretooth, Magneto, black outfit Storm, Cyclops (Blue suit white X), and Archangel (White Wings). Each figure came with an offer for a reduced rate subscription to the comic books, and a 1990 trading card, usually featuring the character in the package.

In later series the 1990 molds were re-used, but Storm had a silver outfit, Archangel had silver wings, so on. They still came with cards, but it was from the I think X-Men series three trading card series, and the cards were just random.

The only other variants from the X-Men series that I have that stick out in my mind are the pink colored Cannonball figure, where his usual outfit color was purple, and the color change Iceman. The first Iceman had a color changing frosting of paint of something on his body that turned white when it was cold, and the plastic is clear. It also came with a little ice flow thing with an indentation in the base so that you could freeze his feet in the freezer, then pull out a chunk of ice for him to "surf" on. The second edition of this figure was the same except it didn't have ice color changing on it, and the plastic the figure was made of was a bluish tinge.

I can snap you some pictures of everything that ToyBiz made from 1990-at least 1995 if you want. I even have those lousy "Projectors" toys. It's more entertaining to watch a cigarette burn than try to dope out the action scenes on those things.