Custom made Aluminum Optimu Prime

Post your work! We want to see your TF fanfics, fan art, webcomics, custom toys, and your home-grown toy repairs here.

Moderator: Blackjack

undertowx
Noob

Custom made Aluminum Optimu Prime

Post by undertowx »

Hello.
I wanted to post some pictures of the Custom Made Optimuus Prime that I designed and built ,but I can't seem to be able to do that here.
If you are interested in seeing it E-mail me and I can send you some pictures.
It is completely made from Aluminum and brass,no plastic at all.
Completely transforms from Rig to Robot.It is about 11" tall and weighs about 10lbs. Its really cool
Thanks
Aaron
[email protected]
I just uploaded them onto Flickr,thanks for the help LD2062
!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69822692@N ... edlayout=1
Last edited by undertowx on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

Have you tried posting the photos in a free online gallery like photobucket or flickr? Once its online you can simply post a direct link to the photos.
undertowx
Noob

Post by undertowx »

thanks for the suggestion,I'll try that.
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

That's awesome! That is spot on! Would you mind spilling a few minor trade secrets? How'd you design it? How'd you produce it? What's the scale? Did I say it's awesome?!! :D

p.s. Welcome to the forums! Feel free to tell us about yourself. You're obviously a fan! Do you collect figures as well? Or, do you just make them based off pictures? Is this your first aluminum transformer?
Optimus Maximus
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Optimus Maximus »

OMG that is SICK!!!Just add some paint and that thing would be PERFECT. Was this done by a cnc machine? If you have any other TFs could you do a size comparison? I would love to see him next to a MP Prime. Now you need a trailer and all his accessories to go with him. 8)
172 and counting. :)_
Newest addition to my collection: Generations Blitzwing
Looking for packaging for 20th Anni. Masterpiece Optimus Prime and his axe and Megatron gun. PM me if you have any of these at a reasonable price.
undertowx
Noob

Post by undertowx »

Countdown wrote:That's awesome! That is spot on! Would you mind spilling a few minor trade secrets? How'd you design it? How'd you produce it? What's the scale? Did I say it's awesome?!! :D

p.s. Welcome to the forums! Feel free to tell us about yourself. You're obviously a fan! Do you collect figures as well? Or, do you just make them based off pictures? Is this your first aluminum transformer?
Thanks for your comments.
I have always been a transformers fan but I don't have much of a collection.Just a few pcs that I have had since I was a kid.
As far a s my Alum Prime,He has always been my favorite.I am a machinist and when I started my own company and was just getting going I decided I had the time to make my own fully metal Prime.
I designed all the pcs with cad software but only from pictures of my favorite Prime versions.Mostly the original and the 25th anniversary one.All the components are one offs and I made them with non CNC machines.The reason it is not painted is because I want it to show that it is all metal and it is also coated with an anti corrosive coating that will make it almost imposible to scratch.
LD2062

Post by LD2062 »

Very nice!!!

Out of curiosity, what would it cost to have one of those made?
undertowx
Noob

Post by undertowx »

LD2062 wrote:Very nice!!!

Well I don't think I would be able to make them for mass sale as it is a one of a kind and to make more would diminish its value.I did have a vendor at the Toronto Transformers convention offer me $5000.00(that I turned down). I have roughly 300 hrs of work into this one.The coating for it cost $300.00 alone.
I was considering making more but as commissioned pieces. I thought maybe a Starscream would be cool?

Glad to hear someone likes it though!!
Aaron
Optimus Maximus
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Optimus Maximus »

A starscream would be amazing!! Keep us up to date if you dont mind. :)
172 and counting. :)_
Newest addition to my collection: Generations Blitzwing
Looking for packaging for 20th Anni. Masterpiece Optimus Prime and his axe and Megatron gun. PM me if you have any of these at a reasonable price.
skywarp408

Post by skywarp408 »

I soo want a 3d printer. Just think soon we could make our own transformers in our own home! Nice job.
PETER IS GOD!Image
Rhymus
City Commander

Post by Rhymus »

undertowx wrote:

Well I don't think I would be able to make them for mass sale as it is a one of a kind and to make more would diminish its value.I did have a vendor at the Toronto Transformers convention offer me $5000.00(that I turned down). I have roughly 300 hrs of work into this one.The coating for it cost $300.00 alone.
I was considering making more but as commissioned pieces. I thought maybe a Starscream would be cool?

Aaron
undertowxAaron, i think you'll have to look a lot harder to find someone who doesn't like it. It's awesome!

i kind of hope you're not planning to paint it or otherwise color it, although i'm sure it would look incredible in color, too, and if you do color it i hope you post pics. However, even though it's currently a non-canon color scheme, i think the way it looks now does a better job of showcasing its uniquely high-quality materials and workmanship. (If you feel so compelled, you could imagine this is what Optimus looked like clad in Hate Plague-resistant armor in the G1 cartoon's "The Return Of Optimus Prime".) i particularly appreciate that his robot mode's back and the back of his arms are closed (unlike the original G1 toy), that his forearms don't have "bites" missing (the G1 toy's front wheel wells), and that his rear wheels are on the shin side of his legs instead of the calf side so that his legs transform "correctly" (unlike the Masterpiece and many other representations of the character).

LD2062 already asked my question... i wouldn't spend as much time or money as you did, Aaron (as much as quality and accuracy appeal to me, i'm the sort who settles for "close enough" figures that don't cost me as much), but more power to you that you have the love, funds, resources, and mad skillz to go the route you did.

...and you're thinking of making another TF that way. Wow.

Care to tell us the name of your business, so that any of us with metalworking needs can find someone with THIS on his resume?
skywarp408 wrote:I soo want a 3d printer. Just think soon we could make our own transformers in our own home! Nice job.
What 408 said.

Oh, one more thing, undertowx--i can't tell from the pictures you posted where OP's fists go in truck mode. Are they detachable like the original toy's (which would give you the option of making alternate/interchangeable hands, plus his energy axe), or do they fold inside the arms or cab somehow?
One shall stand; one shall fall; and the one who stands shall help the one who falls to stand once again.
--Rhymus (also known as STARS Commando 539, also known as transit)
undertowx
Noob

Post by undertowx »

transit wrote:
undertowx wrote:

Aaron
undertowxAaron, i think you'll have to look a lot harder to find someone who doesn't like it. It's awesome!

i kind of hope you're not planning to paint it or otherwise color it, although i'm sure it would look incredible in color, too, and if you do color it i hope you post pics. However, even though it's currently a non-canon color scheme, i think the way it looks now does a better job of showcasing its uniquely high-quality materials and workmanship. (If you feel so compelled, you could imagine this is what Optimus looked like clad in Hate Plague-resistant armor in the G1 cartoon's "The Return Of Optimus Prime".) i particularly appreciate that his robot mode's back and the back of his arms are closed (unlike the original G1 toy), that his forearms don't have "bites" missing (the G1 toy's front wheel wells), and that his rear wheels are on the shin side of his legs instead of the calf side so that his legs transform "correctly" (unlike the Masterpiece and many other representations of the character).

LD2062 already asked my question... i wouldn't spend as much time or money as you did, Aaron (as much as quality and accuracy appeal to me, i'm the sort who settles for "close enough" figures that don't cost me as much), but more power to you that you have the love, funds, resources, and mad skillz to go the route you did.

...and you're thinking of making another TF that way. Wow.

Care to tell us the name of your business, so that any of us with metalworking needs can find someone with THIS on his resume?
skywarp408 wrote:I soo want a 3d printer. Just think soon we could make our own transformers in our own home! Nice job.
What 408 said.

Oh, one more thing, undertowx--i can't tell from the pictures you posted where OP's fists go in truck mode. Are they detachable like the original toy's (which would give you the option of making alternate/interchangeable hands, plus his energy axe), or do they fold inside the arms or cab somehow?
Wow thanks everyone for your comments.
Well first my Company is called ARH Tooling, I work from home in Baltimore,Ontario Canada. I am a Mould Maker by trade but don't work on many moulds anymore (thanks China)
The fists are detachable like the original Prime,When in truck mode I just display them off to the side. I have plans to build an axe as well as his blaster.No I won't be colouring this piece,it has a protective coating on it like a very hard anodize called (Nedox Nt) it is super corrosive ressistant and makes the Aluminum much harder.
Thanks again.
Aaron
DecepticonSpike
Decoy

Post by DecepticonSpike »

Very, very cool. How long did it take for you to make it?
grinkrystal
Throttlebot

Post by grinkrystal »

wow! this is where i end up registering to this forum. great custom btw :D
Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

that is one of the coolest things I have ever seen :D

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

:shock:
May I suggest that a G1 Megatron would look freakin sweet!!!!