SOPA, PIPA and web-strike.

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Minerva
Nurse to Die For

SOPA, PIPA and web-strike.

Post by Minerva »

Some of you may already have heard or read about this, but I'm sure that others haven't, and if this becomes reality we're all going to be affected, more or less.

What is SOPA?
http://sopablackout.org/learnmore/

Seibertron.com is taking action and has an interesting post about this:
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/so ... t83517.php

..and finally, more information regarding the planned web-strike against SOPA, which is taking place January 18th:
http://sopastrike.com/
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

I've signed as many petitions as I could find. This is a serious issue.
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

OH NO!!!!! If they censor the internet, my life will never be the same!!
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

Well that was a witty response... :roll:
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

I can see this thread getting political fast....but I'm going to throw my 2c in. Hollywood is using deep pockets in order to get Congress to pass a bill that would prevent illegal downloads of their IP material. They'll never be able to get that accomplished by going at it with this bill under its current structure. It's too restrictive. Backlash recently from both Google and Wikipedia (amongst other sites) have many politicians backpeddling and reconsidering their stance on this. I certainly hope this bill doesn't come to pass but I have my doubts it's going anywhere the way it's worded now.
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

I've been supporting the net neutrality and anti-censoring movements for years.

The real problem with these recent bills is the way they'd take down so many websites. Virtually every website I go to anyway, certainly this one.

Its one thing to take down sites like megavideo who rip off copyright material and profit from it. But to take down everything that has some piece of copyright material is impractical. How are you to even know if something is copyrighted or available for use? Even when someone notifies you that something is copyrighted how do you know if they are telling the truth? There was a thing awhile back on these boards where more than one person claimed to be the creator of some art work.

And some of these bills take down sites that link to sites that host copyrighted material. How many youtube links are on these boards?

Does anyone feel that this site hurts hasbro or the transformers profits? But with all the artwork and links on here this site could be pulled.

No bill will ever be workable unless there is a reasonable amount of use allowed. There was a time when you were not allowed to use any (star trek?) images on a fan site. Thats just not going to work in this day and age. I'm not saying that they don't have the right to make that call. But there is just no way to enforce that and still have a workable internet.

They need to hold the line and people posting episodes or movies or selling unauthorized posters and things.

Even then I don't see much hope of reducing piracy until there is a workable legal alternative. Right now most of these companies are treating digital content like its as valuable as their material copies. And it isn't. There is no reason the an ebook should be more expensive then the paperback and many of them cost as much or more than the HARDCOVER!

There are always going to be people who steal it. But until there is an option like hulu or netflicks that has all the content available for a reasonable fee most people are going to keep looking for the pirated copies.