Garbage Pail Kids Stickers

Non-TF, non-toy related topics. Discuss movies, music, sports, etc.

Moderators: Kup, Ultra Magnus

Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Garbage Pail Kids Stickers

Post by Roadbuster »

So the wife goes to the Dollar Tree and brings home 2 packs of GPK stickers. The Flashback Series which is basically the same characters from the 80's done in different scenes, some of them even show the original sticker art from the 80's on the back of the card. I asked her how many they had left and she said probably around 100....lol. So anyways, I'm real tempted to go back and buy several packs but I know I'd end up with multiples so my question is....

Does anyone here collect these? Is anyone here interested in starting a collection? I'm bound to end up with duplicates and wouldn't mind passing an extra set along at cost ($0.25 each).

Edit: Sorry for the poor pics. Will try and get some clearer ones later.

Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

I wish i still had my GPK cards from back in the day. I had over 300 unpealed stickers. I gave them all away.
skywarp408
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by skywarp408 »

my friend has all the originals. I have some of the reissues and a few old ones.They are cool
PETER IS GOD!Image
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Galvatron wrote:I wish i still had my GPK cards from back in the day. I had over 300 unpealed stickers. I gave them all away.
skywarp408 wrote:my friend has all the originals. I have some of the reissues and a few old ones.They are cool
I used to have quite a few of the originals. I never could leave them carded as a kid. They would end up all over my trapper keeper.....yeah, my trapper keeper, another outstanding product from the 80's. :P Anyways....went and dropped $10 on 10 packs of cards and only ended up with 5 or so duplicates. So here's all the new additions. And these are all from Series 2 of the Flashback Series. Some of these cards were concept art from the original GPK run that never made it to production but now have been released in the Flashback Series.

trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Oh cool!

I'm not sure where my original collection went, but I started collecting again around 2000. Prices were way better than I thought they would be so I picked up the full set of series (1-15). The only one that was was bad was Series 1 which was about $150 I think. Series 2 was around $50, and the rest were dirt cheap. And everything was much mintier than mine were by the time I was done with them :)
Not sure where prices are now, probably less than I paid back then ;)
I saw back in the 200x's they had started making them again (starting with series 16 as I recall)...and so now you're saying they're making them yet again?

How many series are there now, and do they still come with sticks of gum?
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Cool! You have the complete original set? Series #1-#15....sets A & B? It used to make me mad as a kid to get a GPK sticker with the same artwork but different name. :lol: Damned Topps company!

They did a continuation of the original series in 2003 oddly enough called an "All New Series," and they've produced several sets so far. Series #8 is due out in Oct. of this year. These have all new characters and are considered a continuation.

What I have in this thread are GPK cards from the Flashback series they started in 2010 as part of GPK's 25th anniversary. These are the vintage characters in all new scenes and include "Where are they Now" cards for some of the characters. :lol: They've run 3 series (2010,11,12) so far for the Flashback series, with Series 3 being released this year.
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Yeah, a and b, and even the variants as I recall...

So what are the most sought-after ones now? the uncut rolls?
Do you know the difference between all the things I see on eBay like matte vs glossy? I never even realized there was a difference.

I remember when I was looking at getting series 1, there were some from the UK that were relatively cheap for whatever reason? I know they were a bit smaller.

I also remember having jumbo cards back in the day, I can't remember if those were KOs or what :)
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

trance wrote:Yeah, a and b, and even the variants as I recall...

So what are the most sought-after ones now? the uncut rolls?
Do you know the difference between all the things I see on eBay like matte vs glossy? I never even realized there was a difference.

I also remember having jumbo cards back in the day, I can't remember if those were KOs or what :)
I don't know. I'd imagine an uncut roll would sell really well. As far as matte/glossy cards...I was unaware of the difference as well. :oops:
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

New update. I've now forced my local Dollar Tree to sell out. Don't know if they'll be ordering more or not but I do have these new additions. Also got a nice spare set for sale if anyone's interested?

Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

They are legendary in here, renamed "Basuritas". They were considered offensive and got banned from most schools - it was a much, much more conservative country in the 80s -, so having Basuritas was like having dope. Automatic passport to be with the tuff guys.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Jose wrote:They are legendary in here, renamed "Basuritas". They were considered offensive and got banned from most schools - it was a much, much more conservative country in the 80s -, so having Basuritas was like having dope. Automatic passport to be with the tuff guys.
That's awesome! Cool story and never would have known that 'till now either. :lol: There were certain teachers in school that would look at us funny or make the occasional "eww those are gross" comments. But I had quite a few of them proudly stuck on top of notebooks, trapper keepers, exc.. I still find it odd that the Topps baseball card company makes them. As a former baseball card collector, Topps was "IT" until Donruss came along. Fleer and Upper Deck joined the race around the same time as Donruss. Had a real nice collection too with lots of rookie cards of players that are now in the Hall of Fame. :x
skywarp408
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by skywarp408 »

I still got Randy Johnsons rookie card in Donruss! Haha :lol:
PETER IS GOD!Image
DecepticonSpike
Decoy

Post by DecepticonSpike »

I remember back in 5th grade my school banned those and Wacky Packages. I got 3 days detention for having cards hidden in my desk.